Amazon parrots already in the 15th century appeared in the homes of the nobility as pets. They live in South America, Central America and the surrounding islands. These birds began to conquer Europe after the voyage of Columbus. For the first time, the Amazons were discovered in the forests of the Amazon River basin, the Latin name of the genus, Amazona, is associated with this fact. A detailed description of the genus from the parrot family was made only in the 19th century.
Amazons are talented, they skillfully imitate a wide variety of sounds:
- the crying and laughing of a man,
- human speech,
- animal voices,
- sounds extracted from musical instruments - violin, cello and others.
Particularly advanced individuals can memorize up to several hundred words and memorize whole phrases. The Amazon parrot easily adapts to new conditions, it is not difficult to keep it at home. The bird is trainable and capable of performing simple tricks.
The Amazons are not overly timid. They do not hesitate to talk in the presence of strangers and are happy to intervene in their conversation. These parrots are mobile and emotional.
The undoubted advantage of the Amazons is the absence of specific pollen on their plumage, which is observed in some representatives of parrots, grays and cockatoos. Even allergy sufferers can keep this bird at home.
The Amazon parrot is a rather large bird, its body is 25 to 45 cm long. It has a dense constitution, a powerful shortened beak, strong legs and a short tail. Wings of medium length do not extend to the end of the tail.
The color of the plumage of representatives of this genus is dominated by green, thanks to which the Amazon parrot manages to disguise itself in the foliage. The bird owes its bright outfit to colored fragments, red, blue, yellow, purple and white, on feathers in various parts of the body. Some Amazon species get their name from these spots. The names of other species and subspecies are associated with their habitat.
The genus of Amazons has 32 species, each species includes several subspecies. Amazons of the same species, living in different geographic areas, may differ in size and color. The population of these birds is steadily declining. Local hunters kill Amazons for their delicious meat. Every year, parrots are caught in large numbers and taken to Europe for sale. Two species of Amazona no longer exist, some species and subspecies of Amazons are listed in the Red Book.
Types by color:
- White-fronted Amazon (Amazona albifrons),
- Wine-breasted Amazon (Amazona vinecea),
- Green-cheeked Amazon (Amazona viridigenalis),
- Yellow-headed Amazon (Amazona oratrix),
- Yellow-fronted Amazon (Amazona ochrocephala),
- Yellow-shouldered Amazon (Amazona barbadensis),
- Yellow-bridled Amazon (Amazona xantholora),
- Yellow-necked Amazon (Amazona auropalliata),
- Red-throated Amazon (Amazona arausiaca),
- Red-fronted Amazon (Amazona autumnalis),
- Red-tailed Amazon (Amazona brasiliensis),
- Blue-faced amazon (Amazona versicolor),
- Blue-fronted Amazon (Amazona aestiva),
- Blue-capped Amazon (Amazona finschi),
- Blue-billed Amazon (Amazona dufresniana),
- Black-eared Amazon (Amazona ventralis).
- Venezuelan Amazon (Amazona amazonica),
- Cuban Amazon (Amazona leucocephala),
- Puerto Rican Amazon (Amazona vittata),
- Surinamese Amazon (Amazona ochracephala),
- Tucuman Amazon (Amazona tucumana),
- Jamaican yellow-billed Amazon (Amazona collaria),
- Jamaican black-billed Amazon (Amazona agilis).
- Amazon Müller (Amazona farinosa),
- Imperial Amazon (Amazona imperialis),
- Royal Amazon (Amazona guildingii),
- Festive Amazon (Amazona festiva),
- Luxurious Amazon (Amazona pretrei),
- Soldier Amazon (Amazona mercenaria),
- Amazona kawalli,
- Amazona rhodocorytha.
- Martinique Amazon (Amazona martinica),
- Purple Amazon (Amazona violacea).
Amazon parrot: how many lives in captivity
Types of Amazons that are usually kept at home:
- and. Müller,
- Venezuelan a,
- Yellow-necked A.
- Blue-cheeked a.
- Bellolobiy A.
- Festivalny A.
The larger the parrot, the longer its life span is. Amazons live 50-60 years. The life span of an Amazon parrot at home directly depends on the conditions of its keeping.
Amazon parrot: keeping at home
The parrot needs a spacious cage, a balanced diet and active leisure. Temperature conditions and insolation play an important role for the health of the Amazon. The owner is obliged to provide his pet with comfortable conditions and work with him.
Conditions of maintenance and care:
- Cell. The cage should be spacious so that the parrot can fly in it. The minimum dimensions are 70x60x80. 2 mm thick rods and a strong lock will not allow the Amazon to break free.
- Wet air. Inhabitants of tropical forests do not react well to dry air in an apartment, their feathers dry out and break. Start an aquarium or use a humidifier.
- Bathing. You can bathe your parrot with a spray bottle, spraying it once a week. After spraying, be sure to dry the plumage with a hair dryer, expose the bird to the sun, or simply leave it alone for 2 hours to spread its wings and dry the inner feathers. Features of the plumage of the Amazon - the absence of protective "powder" on the feathers. When bathing, the feathers get very wet and if they are not dry enough, they will begin to rot and smell bad. The parrot will get nervous and lose feathers.
- Air temperature. Maintain the temperature of the air in the room at a constant level of 22 - 25 ° C. Do not place the cage in a draft so as not to catch a cold.
- Food. Include fruit daily in your parrot's diet. Under natural conditions in its habitat, fruits are available all year round. Tree branches placed in the parrot's reach will help it keep its beak in shape.
- First appearance in the house. You can start accustoming the parrot to the house 2 weeks after its acquisition. Close all doors and windows in the room, remove all pets and release the chick from the cage. Let him walk on the floor and get acquainted with the situation. If the bird does not want to go back to the cage, use a landing net. Be careful not to scare your parrot.
- Taming the Amazon chick. The bird easily makes contact. It is enough not to frighten or offend her. First, we accustom the chick to the hand, then he will begin to take food from his palms, and then he will fearlessly sit on his hand. It is convenient to use special sticks with a sharp tip. A piece of food is placed on the end of the stick and brought to the bird. Gradually, the stick is shortened, and the chick approaches the hands.
- Leisure. There are many toys to be placed in the cage. Moving birds will entertain themselves all day long. The parrot will be happy to hang upside down on the perch, examine itself in the mirror, and fiddle with the wheel with its beak.
- Training. Amazons are able to memorize up to 100 words, it is interesting to communicate with them, the parrot is able to express emotions, the intelligence of some species corresponds to the developmental level of a 3-year-old child. You need to do 15 minutes twice a day, fencing the bird from extraneous sounds. First, master the sounds with your pet, then simple monosyllabic words. Young birds learn faster. Birds perceive female high voices better.
Amazons can live alone. With the right upbringing, they will not show aggression. If you have not had experience with parrots before, you should pay attention to the Venezuelan Amazon. It is relatively inexpensive and unpretentious, easily tamed, and gets along well with small children.
A few tips on how to choose a Venezuelan Amazon parrot
- When purchasing a parrot, give preference to a young individual (5 months), it will be easier to establish contact with him.
- In a young parrot, the iris of the eyes is brown, the plumage is faded.
- The beak of a parrot of this breed should be dark in color, brown or black.
- There should be yellow spots on the forehead and cheeks.
- Around the eyes, the skin is blue-violet.
- The undertail is red.
- There are yellow and red feathers on the wings.
- It is impossible to distinguish the female from the male, but the ability of parrots to learn does not depend on the sex of the bird.
How to feed a Venezuelan Amazon
Like all Amazons, this type of parrot loves fruit. You can purchase a special feed that contains all the trace elements and vitamins necessary for the normal development of poultry.
- In nature, the parrot also feeds on flower and leaf buds, flowers, he happily gnaws on the branches of fruit trees. These "delicacies" can be offered to a pet parrot.
- In the spring, your pet will happily feast on dandelion flowers, and in the summer, you can dig up dandelion roots and add them to food.
In captivity, the Amazon is restricted in movement and may suffer from obesity. Do not overfeed him, the parrot loves to eat, but only 50 g of feed per day is enough for him.
- porridge boiled in water,
- dried fruits (soaked in water),
- legumes (boiled),
- fruits vegetables,
- baby food (fruit and vegetable puree, juices),
- fresh berries.
Because of their high calorie content, sunflower seeds should often not be given. Nuts are given in limited quantities.
Amazons are smaller than Jaco's parrot and remember fewer words. On the other hand, they are less aggressive, easier to train and build relationships with family members and pets.
The most popular Amazon species is the Venezuelan Amazon. This is a relatively calm bird that in two weeks after acquisition, you can house-train. Close the doors to prevent the bird from leaving the room and let him walk around the house. What a Venezuelan Amazon looks like - look at the photo. Catch a pet if it does not want to return in a cage, you can use a special net. It will be good if you buy a device that is about the size of an adult bird.
Place toys in the parrot's cage. These can be a wide variety of objects that he can gnaw. The bird will be happy to play with them. Venezuela do not like loneliness... Therefore, so that he does not get bored, it is better to purchase one more or even several birds.
It is not difficult to train Venezuelans. To teach the bird to feed from the hands, tame sticks are used, which contain a sharp tip. Place a piece of food on a stick and offer it to the bird. At the initial stage, give a treat with a long stick, and over time it can be shortened.
Life expectancy of Venezuelans is 50 - 70 years. They quickly get used to home conditions. Keeping parrots in an apartment or house has a positive effect on their longevity.
Venezuelan Amazon - a relatively calm bird, unlike other talkative and noisy species. But they will not be constantly silent either. Once in an unfamiliar environment, the bird first looks around, and then, realizing that there is no danger, begins to communicate with the owners.
Venezuela are very intelligent birds. They do not have a fear of noisy companies. It is representatives of this species are talkative in the presence of people. The birds are quite curious, they easily repeat the words and even phrases they hear. Can imitate animal sounds. Birds scream loudly and shrilly, but they can be weaned from this.
Features of care and maintenance
All parrots require good living and care conditions. The Amazons are no exception. Remember the following features of bird care:
- Birds love to move and play. They should be kept in a spacious cage so that they can flap their wings freely. An Amazon cage should be at least one meter by one meter. It is very difficult to buy a cage in Moscow at a low price. But a pet needs good housing and care.
- To equip the cages, it is necessary to make wooden perches from large unbarked branches. To protect the bird from infection, the branches for the perch should be scalded with boiling water and washed thoroughly. You can hang other devices in the cage - rings, ropes, etc.
- Food and water are placed in special drinkers and feeders, which can be purchased at the store. The best option is metal bowls that can be hung. Mineral feed should be regularly added to the cage. These are sepia (cuttlefish shell), crushed shells or mineral stone. The main food for the Amazons is a mixture of grains.
In order for the skin and feathers of parrots to look well-groomed, the birds must be regularly bathed or sprayed with water.
Amazon parrots are very trainable. At the very beginning, you need to teach your pet the "forward" command. Usually parrots master it with ease. After that, the bird will begin to trust you, while at the same time recognizing the owner in you.
The training cycle should not take more than 15 minutes. Do not start in a bad mood, the pet will feel it. Organize training in the form of a gameso that both you and the parrot will enjoy it. There should be silence in the room. Do not forget to close the windows and doors so that the bird can safely fly around the room. If you have pets, you should take them to another room.
All owners are usually interested in how to teach a parrot to talk. If you decide to start training your pet, follow these guidelines:
- The main condition is patience and perseverance. Believe that the parrot will talk over time.
- It is much easier to teach young parrots to speak.
- No need to tease the bird. Speak sweet words to him. Let the parrot feel friendly on your part.
- Do not spend too long lessons, this will tire the bird.
- The best time to study is morning or evening.
- Start by teaching your parrot only short words.
- The first sounds at the beginning of training are "a", "i", "t", "p", "p", "k".
- Parrots like the voices of women more.
- It is good if during training next to your bird there is a parrot that can speak.
If you cover the bird cage with a cloth during training, the process goes much faster. But remember that in this case, the parrot may become shy and not talk in front of people.
Reviews about the Amazons
We thought for a long time which parrot to buy. We saw a Venice Amazon in the photo and decided to buy just one. He's very handsome! For his good nature, he became a favorite of the whole family. We also have a dog, so they are very friendly, the parrot loves to watch her play. Very friendly towards the child. Learns quickly, learned to drink from a spoon. It is very easy to take care of it, even the laziest owner can handle it.
We bought a Venezuelan parrot 2 months ago, at that time he was 3 months old. They called him Petka. The parrot is not yet used to the hands, but he likes to be stroked on the head. No noise at all, no hassle with him. They were afraid that he would scream at night, but no - he sleeps peacefully! Very pleased!
I bought a Red-fronted Amazon. He is very smart, loves to be stroked. Makes interesting sounds, barks, croaks like a crow. Always meets me from work. Training is served very easily, he understands everything. I call him to eat - he goes, I say to sleep - goes into the cage! Loves to swim. It's never boring with him!
You can buy an Amazon parrot in special nurseries. When purchasing a pet, remember that a parrot, like everyone else pets are a big responsibility... But, at the same time, a pet in the house is a source of positiveness. Love your bird, take care of it, pamper it, and it will certainly thank you and please everything that you taught it!